Studying the status of the Digestive Diseases Research Institute of Tehran University of Medical Sciences in science production based on the latest documents of the Scientometrics Department of the Ministry of Health and Medical Education shows that this scientific center with production 1205 articles so far, has the first rank in citations to articles, h-index, and international scientific collaborations among all medical sciences research centers in Iran with the least “self citation” to articles.
The results of the review of these documents show that the Digestive Diseases Research Institute of Tehran University of Medical Sciences is the top leader of the entire research centers (institutes and research departments) with the activity field of Clinical Sciences in production and dissemination of science.
These documents also show that the Digestive Diseases Research Institute of Tehran University of Medical Sciences has the highest rating in the evaluation and Z score among all research centers with medical sciences independent budgetary.
A look at the process of producing and publishing articles, rate of citations, and the Digestive Diseases Research Institute contribution to the production of superior science:
The important role of creating research infrastructures in successes of research activity of the Digestive Diseases Research Institute
Scientific products of the Digestive Diseases Research Institute of Tehran University of Medical Sciences in addition to its important influences on increasing the quantity and quality of science production in Iran, has contributed a lot to the advancement of knowledge of gastrointestinal and hepatic diseases sppecially digestive oncology at the national and international level.
List of the most important research achievements in the field of gastroenterology and hepatology:
1. Identifying main risk factors and etiologies of the onset and prevalence of cancers especially upper gastrointestinal cancers in northeastern Iran by conducting the Golestan case control and golestan Cohort studies.
2. Proving adequate evidence for carcinogenesis of opium for the first time in the world.This issue is now at the riority list IARC monograph cmmittee.
3. Proving adequate evidence for the hot tea consumption as an important risk facotr for esophageal cancer and it rcognition for the first time as a carcinogen for esophageal cancer by IARC monograph commottee.
4. Establishing Golestan province population based cancer registry in 2014.
5. Establishing national population based cancer registry in Iran for the first time which was accepted by IARC to be published in Globocan in 2018.
6. Establishment of a Moderen Golestan cohort biobank .
7. Introducing a new laboratory KIt for diagnosis of HCV in Iran.
8. Producing the cheap, available and extremely effective anti hepatitis C combination drug SOVODAK after a few years of research and offering it to the Iran’s pharmaceutical market.
9. Producing the important drugs named Polypill (a combination of Aspirin, Antihypertensive drugs, and Lipid lowering agents) for prophylaxis of noncommunicable disease specially cardiovascular (CVD) Which is markted in Iran for secondary prevention of CVD and is now aviable in Pharmacies.
10. Establishing Persian Cohort study in 21 provinces of Iran based on experiance obtained from GCS.
11. Treatment of autoimmune hepatitis with oral Cyclosporin in adults.
12. Establishing Autoinnune hepatitis registry .
13. Providing a simple and effective non-surgical therapeutic approach for Achalasia disease.
14. Designing and presenting diagnostic kits for breath test (UBT).
15. Study of celiac Disease in Iran for the first time and defining the prevalence and establishing Celiac disease registry s in Iran.
16. Supporting production of the first diagnostic kits for Celiac disease in Iran.
17. Coducting 15 randomized controlled trials for defining the best regimen for H.pylori eradication in Iran .
18. Use of stem cells in treatment of hepatic cirrhosis for the first time with the cooperation of Hematology and Oncology Research Center of Tehran University of Medical Sciences and Royan Institute
19. Establishing Inflammatory Bowel Disease disease ( IBD) registry for chronic irritable bowel disease patients by conducting Cohort and genetic studies in Iran.
20.Supporting Iran’s pharmaceutical industry by conducting RCT studies for safty and efficay of generic and biosimilar drugs produced locally compared to with similar brands